Friday 10 October 2014

Week 5

I had fun studying for my 2 midterms this week. My cheat sheet is completely filled up and actually looks like a work of art. I did put a lot of proofs on the sheet but I don't think they will show up on the midterm. I am feeling pretty good about both of these midterms so hopefully I will be able to do well. This week's tutorial was on proofs and it definitely helped understand how to structure proofs properly and how to introduce quantifiers and operators.

Here as an example of the structure of a proof.

Whenever we make an assumption, we indent the next line, and once we have proven our conclusion, we can unindent and start introducing the operators and qualifiers that were assumed. Something new I learned this week is that the closure of sets can be very useful for use in proofs. For example, real numbers are closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication and natural numbers are closed under addition and multiplication.

Post midterms:

So both midterms that I had went well. The one for this course was very similar to the previous year's test and did not end up using my cheat sheet but it did help me learn. Proofs were not on it so I will be looking forward to those on the second midterm. For the very last question, creating a truth table was useful for coming up with sets that would make one statement false and the other true. Another 2 midterms coming up next week but things look to be calming down after that. I also started my work-study this week. Hoping to get some relevant work experience and see if it is related to what I want to do in the future. So far it has been very fun and enjoyable. Thanks for reading once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment